Nu falmer skoven music & Lyrics
English translation of lyrics of "Nu falmer sloven trinket om land"
Link to musical accompaniment on YouTube here:
Scroll down to link to sing in Danish with Phillip Farber
1. The forest leaves are fading fast,
and bird-song now is rarer;
the swallow flees the stormy blast,
the stork seeks climates fairer.
2. Where fields once waved with golden corn,
fair. ears to ripeness straining,
there stubble lies, bereaved, forlorn,
mere barren soil remaining.
3. But in our barn, upon our floor,
God’s gift for all our sowing,
our enterprise yields up its store
of harvest overflowing.
4. And He who made it grow on earth,
the golden ears unveiling,
will live with us and share his Word,
the gospel never-failing.
5. We thank Him now with joyful song
for all that He has given.;
for fields that grew all summer long,
for word and life from heaven.
6. Through all the year on ev’rything
He breathes his peace eternal;
and after winter comes the spring,
the summer, corn and kernel.
7. And when life’s hour-glass runs dry,
His word to us is spoken:
in Paradise will God on high
grant summer sun unbroken.
8. There shall we reap as birds do here,
who neither plough nor scatter;
and there be free of toil and fear,
and strife of earthly matters.
9. For harvest here and harvest there,
to God be praise and glory,
who shows through Christ, our Saviour fair,
the Fahter’s loving story.
10. His Spirit, who does all things well,
through life’s short dates precedes us:
in faith and hope and love we dwell,
as He to heaven leads us.
Edward Broadbridge, ed. and trans., Living Wellsprings: The Hymns, Songs, and Poems of N.F.S Grundtvig [Aarhus: Aarhus University Press, 2015] no. 73 (p. 161-2).
Leave a Reply.
Bridget Lois Jensen